THE CURLY GIRL METHOD
The Curly Girl Method (CGM) or as we like to call it here at Curl Care, The Curly Person Method, is a hair care routine developed by Lorraine Massey. CGM focuses on bringing out the best in your curls by avoiding harmful ingredients like silicones, sulphates, and parabens and instead encouraging the use of friendly nourishing products.
WILL CGM WORK FOR MY HAIR?
This method works best for Type 2-Type 4 hair. It will enhance your texture giving you healthier and more defined waves/curls/coils, and despite its name, this method is suitable for all curly people!
We all know curly hair is a look, and if there is anything that can give us more of those ‘big hair, don’t care’ vibes, it’s worth a shot.
CGM BASIC STEPS
- The Final Wash- to start your new haircare routine you will need a clean slate. Wash your hair with a sulphate shampoo for one final time (this is to remove all the product build-up you’ve accumulated).
- Cleanse- Hello, Co-Wash! Wash your hair with a co-wash or sulphate-free shampoo, which is kinder to your hair and scalp.
- Condition-Hydrate using a CGM-friendly conditioner and condition away. Detangle with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb and rinse. Now would also be the perfect time to do a deep conditioning treatment.
- Style- Apply your CGM-friendly styling products (leave-in, gel, cream mouse etc..), into your wet hair and scrunch.
- Dry-Gently scrunch your hair with a cotton t-shirt or microfibre towel to remove excess water and product. You can then either leave your hair to air dry or diffuse with a hair dryer on the cold setting. Avoid touching your hair and once completely dry scrunch your hair to remove the crunch from your products.
Follow steps 2-5 every time you need to refresh your hair.
THINGS TO AVOID
Shampoo- that contains sulphates, silicones and parabens.
Heat- put down the GHDs! Avoid flat and curling irons and if you diffuse your hair, do so on a low setting.
Harmful Ingredients- Sulphates, silicones, parabens, waxes, and mineral oils.
Alcohols- not all alcohols are drying but the general rule of thumb is to opt for alcohol-free products.
Towel Drying- unless it's a microfibre towel or your cotton t-shirt avoid rubbing your hair with towels.
It may take time for you to notice results and don’t be afraid to deviate slightly or make some changes, not everyone follows the method 100%. You may decide to still use your holy-grail product despite it containing some ‘harmful ingredients’ and that’s ok, modify it to suit you.
Shop our recommended Curly Method Friendly Products.
DISCLAIMER: This guide has been written following our own research into this method, but it is not an exhaustive in-depth guide. Please do your own research to determine if this method is suitable for you and your hair.